Saturday, November 1, 2008

Voting


The time to cast your ballot is this upcoming Tuesday. But for anyone who got an absentee ballot they have probably voted already, and this includes me. I spent weeks trying to decide which presidential candidate I was going to give my precious vote to.
It wasn't a decision between Obama and McCain, it was between McCain and Baldwin(Constitution/U.S. Taxpayers party). Baldwin is very pro-life, very pro homeschooling, and me voting for him adds to the chance of a third party coming into power someday.
But people kept telling me that voting third party is basically giving a vote to Obama, the most anti-life candidate we've seen in decades. So I hesitated marking those little circles on my ballot until I was absolutely sure who was the best choice to give my vote too.
Well a fews days ago there was a speaker on campus from the Acton Institute, Michael Miller, he was speaking on why and how Catholics need to vote with their morals. At the end of his great talk he made a comment, he said "first and foremost vote with your conscience guided by the magisterium of the Church". Vote your conscience, above pride and above political ideals. This took me aback, and made me think about why I was wanting to vote third party. In the end I realized that I was going to vote for Chuck Baldwin because of my political ideals, and even though I hold those ideals very close to my heart, I hold my faith inside my heart.

So at the end of the day I voted for Senator John McCain. Not because I like the guy or his politics, but because deep down I know that he has the only chance of stopping the baby killer, Senator Barack Obama, from taking office.


-Paul

3 comments:

  1. Now hopefully it's enough. Man, Obama better not win...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paul, are you coming to a FOP anytime? I'm disappointed that you decided to vote for McCain instead of Baldwin but I still think you made a good decision. I was in the same predicament and finally voted for Baldwin. I just pray that McCain wins this election even though I don't believe for a moment that he is the President this country needs - he's far better than the alternative however. Obama's anti-life platform sickens me. Also, if he does manage to pass FOCA I'll probably be forced to leave the country if I even want to practice my profession in accordance with my faith and not go to prison or be sued. A professor of mine endorsed Obama in class and it made me mad as H*** - given his Catholic faith and that he was teaching at FUS of all places. How he ever landed a job here is beyond me. I think part of it is that he's a sociology professor - I'm beginning to believe that sociology for the most part is a bunch of crap and cannot be taught from a Christian perspective - because it's more like a contradicting religion than a science.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't beleive Obama won...and at the same time I can. It also disgusts me that Catholics voted for him. If members of the One, True Faith can't see that the things he stands for are wrong, then our nation is seriously mixed up.

    ReplyDelete