Thursday, September 9, 2010

Religious Freedom?


It seems like everyone under the sun is voicing their opinions about Mosque building and Koran burning. Well, the sun is out this morning so I think I will chime in.

The Ground Zero Mosque is not helping the Muslim American cause for peace and tolerance, instead it is throwing fuel into the fire. Anti-Islamic sentiments are higher in the US now then they were after 9/11. My anti-Mosque stance is not because I'm an "islamophobe," or against religious freedom. I just don't believe it to be wise. How would the country feel if the NRA opened a new Colorado headquarters next door to Columbine high-school? However, thank God we have the freedom in this country to build whatever religious building we want.

The planned Koran burning is nothing more than an attention getter. Completely disrespectful of non-extremist Muslims, and an abuse of religious freedom. However, thank God we have the freedom in this country to burn whatever religious book we want.

There is one curious thing that I have noticed in these discussions though. The same individuals who so passionately advocated for religious freedom concerning the Ground Zero Mosque (even accusing the majority of Americans of "Islamophobia"), are now doing/saying whatever they can to stop Pastor Terry Jones' expression of religious freedom. This looks like a double standard to me. They seem, at least to me, to be hiding their anti-Christian and/or pro-Islamic agenda behind the veil of "religious freedom."

Just my two cents. Please feel free to correct me.

6 comments:

  1. You have a blog? I have a blog! Awesome! By the way, couldn't agree more about the whole Koran burning/Mosque Building thing. People are nuts.

    -Katoriku Rant, aka one of your group members that's add like crazy. I'm over at wordpress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I agree with you generally, but the double standard is not really that big a deal. The Muslims are trying to peacefully set up a place of worship, Pastor Jones' demonstrations attacks another faith. Both issues deal with freedom of religious expression. However, one is peaceful and the other is violent. Just a subtle distinction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say they should be able to build it. I agree it's not wise at all, but that's not our concern. Just as long as they're not bombing people, I'm fine with it.

    I think the book burning is stupid. It's just sending the wrong message out. Yeah, he can do it, but why? It doesn't help convert Muslims or any other people to Christianity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I agree the burning the Koran is crazy (even though I do not hold the religion of Islam in any sort of high esteem) I agree that we should respect people. As Catherine pointed out, there isn't a point in burning a Koran- it won't convert anyone, and will succeed in pissing people off. Yay, that's productive!

    As far as the Mosque thing goes, I do find it more than a little odd that the Orthodox Church that used to be in that area (but was wiped out due to Sep. 11) still hasn't been allowed to plan a re-build. Yet this Mosque, which is backed up by some less than friendly characters, is being put up in a very insensitive manner.

    It makes on wonder just how far political correctness has run amok. Then again, it could just be the usual NYC/Manhattan Bureaucracy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should change this blog's name to "The Infrequent Fahey". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zita, I would disagree. If building the Mosque is symbolically, what many Islamics say it is, the name is akin to victory, then it is like celebrating violence already accomplished. So the book burning is not violence but insult, where as if the book burners were burning books along with corpses of Muslims, we could parallel the events.

    ReplyDelete